Philip A. Chou is currently a senior staff research scientist in the Perception team at Google Research, where he is working on holographic compression and communication. Research.com lists him as one of the top 1000 computer scientists worldwide.
- 26 January 2022. Congratulations to Apple, MPEG, 3GPP, and MLB Advanced Media for snagging a 2021 Technical Emmy for DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP). In 2004 we developed the first client-driven rate control algorithm for multi-bitrate streams, which influenced Microsoft’s Smooth Streaming, which later combined with Adobe’s HDS and Apple’s HLS as the basic idea behind DASH.
- 14 December 2021. Congratulations to my colleagues on the Google Starline project, who published their system description (exclusive of compression and transmission) at Siggraph Asia. [paper] [video]
- 27 July 2021. Who would have believed it. I just received the IEEE Transactions on Multimedia Outstanding Reviewer Award 2021. That tells me they really need better reviewers!
- 18 May 2021. Google’s Starline product, for glasses-free holographic communication, is finally public! I had the honor of working on its compression and network rate control.
- 25 Jan 2021. The ISO MPEG Base Media File Format (BMFF, aka MP4) wins a Technical Emmy Award. Although I have not been involved in its development since 1999, I proposed and initiated work on the MPEG file format in 1997.
- 25 Jan 2021. My summer internship position has been filled. I look forward to working with Berivan Isik, a PhD candidate in Tsachy Weissman’s group at Stanford, in June.
- 18 Nov 2020. I am looking for a research intern for 2021 in the area of deep learning for compression of 3D (point cloud | mesh | volumetric) data. Internships in 2021 will be virtual, and may be located anywhere in North America. Ideal candidates will have interests in deep learning, compression, 3D data, and graph signal processing. Coding in Python and Tensorflow will be required. If interested, please send your resume to me at email@example.com, and simultaneously apply for a generic Google research internship here.
- 10 Nov 2020. Paper Award: E. Pavez, B. Girault, A. Ortega and P. A. Chou, “Region Adaptive Graph Fourier Transform for 3D Point Clouds,” IEEE Int’l Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), October 2020. Best Paper Award. [arxiv]
- 21 Oct 2020. Paper Award: V. N. Padmanabhan, H. J. Wang, P. A. Chou, and K. Sripanidkulchai, “Distributing streaming media content using cooperative networking,” ACM NOSSDAV, Miami Beach, FL, USA, May 2002. 2020 SIGMM Test of Time Award (Honorable Mention).